Wednesday, March 21, 2012

It's Summer... I mean Spring!

    So much has been happening. I never know where to start...but,  how blessed are we to have such fantastic, unbelieveable weather? Wow. It was 85 degrees in Chicago today! This winter has been so mild compared to last year. 2011 was the year of the blizzard in Chicago. We still had a foot of snow on the ground on this day 2011. It's amazing how things work out.
     I'm writing after Friday and Monday off this past week. Friday we had an in-service. Let's just say I am so thankful I do not have to attend monthly staff meetings. No one ever really says what they want or need. They play the advocate. Faculty members tend to express their concerns, feelings, then renigue what they just said because they don't want to offend anyone. This is ridiculous to me. If you have a question, just ask. If you have a concern, just say it. Why is that so difficult? I have to think this is just a perk for working with all grades and all teachers...part time. Sometimes, though, it just seems like it would be easier to say things rather than sugarcoat them.
      Anywho, at this meeting, I started writing a 'to-do' list. I continue to be more aware of my behavior and the way it affects my classes. I've started to ease up with my classes in a way. First of all, it's too damn hot to expect any class to focus for more than 10 minutes at a time. Actually, this 10 minute rule was given to me by my supervisor during student teaching but I never got it until now. I've started to structure every class in 10 minute intervals: 10 minutes singing, 10 minutes direct instruction, 10 minutes hands on. This seems to be working well. Now.. if I can only remember my rules!
     Today I found a new discipline method that actually worked with 6th grade...and I hope it works across the board. It's quite simple. "Let's finish with the work we need, and what time is left at the end, we will listen to music, new music, your music." This means that if a class is not behaving, I can take time off of their 'free time'. I took 2.5 minutes off the 6th grade class for their free time. If someone talked, I started the time over. And, by golly, they sat for the entire 2.5 minutes silent. And guess what?! We had time to listen to one new song.
     See, this entire year, I've been trying to just expose my students to new music, whether it be jazz, rap, classical, rock, etc. They really love when I play music from my own playlist. My new project is to create playlists for each grade, combine them, and make them available to students. So far, each grade is completely ecstatic about this. And I'm excited to share music between the students and myself.
     I've had so many goals for the year as far as teaching music and what I want students to learn. But, I've realized that if I can just make these kids more aware of other types of music/bands/artists, other than what is 'main stream', I am doing my job. Making them more aware. Getting them to hear/listen to things they would never even be exposed to. Its really cool. I've also realized that my calm, almost laxidazical demeanor tends to get the students to self-discipline. I don't need to yell. I don't need to get upset. If I talk in a calm manor and students see that, they self manage their class. It's brilliant! Fool proof? NO!
     Back in the lounge, teachers were talking about the number of days left in the year: after Spring Break, we have 34 days. That is crazy! I can't believe where we started and how quickly it is coming to an end. I am so proud to say I've stuck it out. I am so proud to say I am almost finished with my first year of teaching. What an amazing feeling.
     Of course with the end of the year approaching, reflection is in full swing. Every single teacher has told me that the first year is the hardest. If that's the case, I cannot wait for next year! Of course, there is the matter of supporting myself through the summer. Yes, I get a paycheck yearly. Yes, this paycheck is below "poverty" level. However, I have been thinking of things to do this summer. One of my colleagues mentioned a song writing workshop. She gave an over-all music workshop last summer for a week. She was successful. And, she made a decent amount of money. It excites me to do something like this. I am NO expert in song writing, but I think I could help kids hone their musical talents and writing abilities. I also hope to give summer piano/voice lessons. Another way to supplement.
     Each year, I realize more and more how the cold and dark days affect me mentally, physically. It wasn't until later in life that I was told depression runs in my family. I know most of us deal with the wintertime blues. It is difficult and sometimes a battle. This is what I deal with. It is a breath of fresh air to see Spring so early. It makes me worry for next year. How will I deal with my own inner struggles? I only hope I am able to continue my routine. YOGA. WALKING. BREATHING. It is so important.
     After talking with my dad, once more I am certain there is one person who loves me. My dad is such an amazing, selfless individual... I talked to him about my brother, Dave. If Dave were here, he would be the first person to visit me. The first to pick up the  phone. The first to yell at me. The first to make me laugh. To everyone who has lost someone, I say a prayer. I pray for those that have departed from us and I pray they are looking down on us. Thank you again to all who read this blog. You continue to inspire me through your thoughts and prayers. If you would like to continue a dialogue, please email me at Misscoachc@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment