Thursday, March 8, 2012

March 2012

     It's been a good week. We are officially into the third trimester...yes. the last one. It's hard to believe so much time has gone by. But then again, it's been quite a roller coaster ride. I have finally learned 95% of the student's names, even piecing together brothers, sisters, cousins! Things seem to be flowing more smoothly. Now, my focus is being more adaptive and flexible with the scheduling. For instance, Monday the school dismissed at 11:30am because of conferences. I did not even realize this. Therefore, I did not reach out to any parents/students that had lessons in the afternoon. Oh well. Next Friday and Monday there is no school again..."Staff Development Days". Again, I have lessons on those days and it is so difficult to re-schedule them so everyone gets another time. This past Saturday, I even taught lessons to those who wanted an extra/make-up lesson. The parents seemed very appreciative. The students seemed more. I had great feedback from the parents. The students and I were even able to show off our 'dueting'. Then! We start spring break April 4th-15th...wow, these last 2 months have flown by. It's crazy! I feel so blessed that I've stuck to it, not given up, and tried to re-adjust my teaching to things the students want to learn about.
     Can you believe most students have never looked inside a piano to see how it works?! Such a simple and fairly easily executed lesson which the students really enjoyed. Even if they were just banging away on the thing, they were ALL smiling, from kindergarten thru 8th grade. I also let each grade take a turn banging the humungo bass drum the school has. They loved it! It was really cute and quite entertaining. I wish I could offer more instruments for them to try. However, singing with the older grades continues to be a challenge, and I must admit, I haven't pushed very hard. Lesson learned for next year, "Make them sing from the beginning". So much to learn. I would really love to get back into school and become more knowledgeable about music and teaching. This is my next endeavor, but one thing at a time.
     The 8th grade just received their high school placements. Quite a few of the guys are attending St Pats, which is where I student taught. I am so thrilled they are going there! I'd love to say I had an influence, but I can't be sure. Also, I will be writing my first recommendation letter for an 8th grader! She did not get into the school she wanted and is appealing her admission. She is such a bright, determined, and talented young lady. I hope I can help her.
     Oh! When I was at school on Saturday, one of the moms gave me a FREE ($5) ticket to the Pancake Dinner Fundraiser for Boy Scouts. Pancakes at 4pm? I'm in! It was really neat to see students out of the school element. The boys were so gentlemenly and well mannered. Of course, the first thing they noticed was my new hair color. That was another funny thing all week. "Miss Courchaine! Did you dye your hair..again?" "I really like it!" "I like you better blonde." "You look like Katy Perry." "You look like Flo from the insurance commercials." "Do we have a substitute?" I suppose when you encounter 400 kids, there's bound to be some conversation.
     Tomorrow evening, I am singing with the advanced parish choir for Stations of the Cross. I am really excited because I've ran rehearsals with this group, and they are all truly gifted. It will be so awesome to be a musician with other musicians. Sometimes, it's difficult to get back into the swing of singing/playing advanced music when I'm continuously singing 'Hickory Dickory Dock'. I have really tried to maintain my piano and voice skills though. Sometimes I will get caught up after school or lessons, just playing or singing material from college or before. I am thrilled for this opportunity tomorrow evening. Plus, it is such an easy way to get to church and worship. I always feel better after an hour session with the Higher Power.
     One other thing about my classes. I asked the junior high students, "Do any other teachers use technology in the classroom?" NO!! Well, actually, one student said a teacher uses the overhead. Let me just preface with this: My technology in my room is boogey. There are constant problems and quite often, these problems keep the lesson held up. However, there is no way I could ever teach without using technology. Even powerpoint. Youtube. This is so important! This is what students know and relate to. Next year, I will have my room set up properly(now that I know what I need). But for now, a few blips don't hurt. As much of a traditionalist as I am, there is NO WAY I couldn't use technology. So! If anyone would like to donate to my Music Class Mayhem fund, please feel free!
    On a different note, thank you again to all who read this blog. It keeps me writing. I love hearing your comments and support. Sometimes, I can't help writing about my personal life because it does affect my teaching, but I love and appreciate your patience. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment